February 3, 2012

No Cake Please

Whenever I would say that we might not get a wedding cake for our wedding, people would look at me in disbelief and say, "Di pwede yun! Dapat may cake!" It's as if I've committed a grave sin if I didn't have a three-tiered cake at our reception.

Honestly, I do not understand why it is such a big deal to have a wedding cake. I know it's for the cake-cutting ceremony, but we plan not to have that tradition in our wedding. (In fact, we'll probably omit most wedding traditions in our program, like bouquet toss and the couple's first dance, but that is another story.) Sorry, but I find it cheesy and embarassing to have Mox "help" me cut the cake. It reminds me too much of my childhood birthdays when people would force me to pose for pictures while holding a knife and pretending to cut my birthday cake. Ang corny sobra. Ugh.

I'm also not a fan of fondant cakes, which are usually used for weddings. The only cake I like is Goldilock's Chocolate Roll and only because I can lick the icing on its sides. But I doubt that could be used as a wedding cake. Besides, it's not like everyone could get a slice of cake. Most three-tiered cakes have only one edible layer—the bottom tier—while the two top tiers are made from styrofoam. I don't think the guests would like to taste that. Haha.

Now don't let me get to the price of the cake. Conventional wedding cakes cost an average of P10,000 or more, especially if it's customized to your theme or motif. Yes, a customized wedding cake would look good in wedding photos, but I still think it is not worth spending thousands of pesos for. I would rather spend that amount of money on my wedding gown or hair and make-up. Di hamak naman na mas maganda akong picturan kesa sa wedding cake noh! Haha!

Of course, if someone would offer to sponsor a wedding cake for us, then who am I to refuse that generous offer? But if not, then the cake would be the least priority in our wedding budget. A much better alternative would probably be a cupcake tower so that more guests would be able to enjoy the "cake", but I'm a bit iffy about that idea as well because it is also expensive. Oh well, I'll just look for cheaper options.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...